For 2023, Youth Art Month returns to the Portland Museum of Art walls! The exhibition will be on view on the Lower Ground Floor of the PMA from March 1st through April 2nd, 2023, and digitally on the Portland Museum of Art’s website.
Youth Art Month at the Portland Museum of Art is an annual exhibition showcasing the incredible talent in Maine’s art education programs.In collaboration with the Maine Art Education Association (MAEA), the PMA is honored to present artwork made by young artists in our communities. Youth Art Month is also an opportunity to highlight the art educators in our schools and the importance of and access to quality art programs. Art educators help to inspire and empower young artists, creating avenues for young artists to express their creativity, find their voice, and cultivate communication skills.
The opening reception will be held on Saturday, March 11th All artists, their families, and educators are invited to the Youth Art Month celebrations. K–4th grade at 3:30 p.m. 5th–8th grade at 4:30 p.m. 9th–12th grade at 5:30 p.m.
During this special event, we will recognize artists from each grade level and share the artwork students have created. Join us to share in the achievements and creativity of Maine art students!
Registration is now open and will close on Friday, February 3rd.
Artwork Drop Off: Friday, February 10 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, February 11 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, February 13 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Artwork Pick Up: Thursday, April 6 – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, April 7 – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, April 8th – 10 a.m. to p.m.
The MAEA/MEA show is Back! Youth Art MonthAt the Maine Education Association Headquarters in Augusta
The opening reception will be held on Sunday, March 12, 2023 Reception: 11:00 - 1:00 pm Presentations will be at Noon. Please plan to attend the Art Opening. Refreshments will be served.
Teachers who are both MEA (Maine Education Association) and MAEA (Maine Art Education Association) members may submit one piece of student artwork to celebrate Youth Art Month. The artwork will be generously framed by the MEA and will hang at the MEA Headquarters in Augusta. Many legislators, MEA employees, and other visitors who go to the headquarters really enjoy viewing the student artwork. Families enjoy the art opening reception and appreciate the beautifully framed artwork that is returned to them after the show (the following November). This is a great way to showcase what we do.
* The MEA will accept 30 eligible works of student art on a first-come sign-up basis.
* Please sign-up using the posted Google survey. Click HEREto register.
* We will confirm your dual membership with MAEA and MEA. Once you are notified, please mail your student artwork ASAP or by December 3rd, 2022.
* Submit artwork to: Suzanne Goulet Waterville Senior High School One Brooklyn Avenue Waterville, ME 04901 or contact other satellite drop off coordinators – Lynda Leonas (Auburn) email@example.com or Hope Lord (Manchester) firstname.lastname@example.org
* If you sign up, we are saving your spot. Last minute cancellations do not allow time to find a replacement.
* The show will hang from February 2023 through November, 2023 in the MEA office in Augusta.
* Only submit work that will hang for the entire length of the exhibit.
* You will need to pick up the artwork by the end of November and return the framed work to the student.
* Participating educators will receive template invitations to personalize with the student work to pass on to their student artists and school community.
* Attach the following name tag to the back of the artwork. Please use the name tag so the information will be consistent. Please have this media release form filled out and attached to the back of the art. Click HERE for access to the document with the name tag.